Charles Céleste Hutchins / Composer
UK Tel: +44 (0) 790 825 5439
b. 1976 in San Jose, California, USA
I primarily do computer music and installations, but also enjoy ensemble writing and tuba improvisation.
- “A . . . tension-building weapon to entice listeners through harshness and hypnosis” – Area Culture Guide, 1 August 2011
- “Witty and concise” – Birmingham Live, 29 July 2011
- “Worth submerging oneself in” – Disquiet, 7 May 2010
- “satisfying manglings” – Hurd Audio, 17 April 2007
- “takes the art of noise to a higher level . . . a great soundtrack to your life” – SFWeekly, 29 June 2005
Discography and Film
- 2019: The Last Christmas
- 2017: Christmawave
- 2016: Tuba on ijereja by Lauren Redhead.
- 2016: 12 Days of Crimbo
- 2015: One Track on No Room 2015, from Sound Collective
- 2015: Additional composition for The Public House, a film by Sarah Turner
- 2014: Two tracks in The Shape of Spaces Yet To Come in the December 2014, Vol. 24 of Leonardo Music Journal.
- 2014: Tenor voice on Walking Still by the Vocal Constructivists from Innova Records.
- 2013: One track on artists for laetitia schteinberg from Black Circle Records.
- 2009: Contributed to one track on Supercollider140
- 2006: One Track on Solo Modular Synthesizer Compilation from Experimental Musical Research
- 2005: Political Voices and Just.
- 2002: Virtual Memory, from Mp3.com.
- 2001: Faux Pas.
- 2001: Two tracks on Random Spheres of Influence, published by IBOL Records.
- Unreleased, recorded in 2005: Tuba / Sax duo with Anthony Braxton.
Talks, Presentations, and Papers
- October 2021 ‘Make America Grate Again‘ ARTECH 2021: 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts Article No.: 118, Pages 1–3
- March 2021 ‘Breaking out of boxes: Building community in online events’ A Nourishing Network, Servus, Linz
- August 2020 “Constructing Infinity” panel discussion about an online collaborative graphic
- February 2018 ‘Trans and Noise’ at New Emergences #12, STEIM, Amsterdam
- September 2016 ‘Temporality, Structure, Symbols and the Social: Graphic Notation as Process’ chapter in Music and/as Process, Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- May 2016 ‘The Trouble with Twitter’ at the Art Meets Radical Openness festival in Linz, Austria
- May 2016 ‘Please Touch: Sex Robot #1’ at the Sound Acts Festival in Athens, Greece
- July 2015 ‘Live Patch / Live Code‘ at the Live Code Conference in Leeds.
- July 2014 ‘Soundbeam: a Platform for Sonifying Web Tracking’ at NIME.
- June 2014 ‘Temporality, Structure, Symbols and the Social: Graphic Notation as Process’ at Music and/as Process in Canterbury.
- October 2013 Participated in concluding roundtable at the Notation Symposium at Goldsmiths in London.
- May 2013 ‘The TuningLib Quark‘ at the SC2013 SuperCollider Symposium in Boulder, CO, USA.
- April 2013 On a panel at the Notation in Musical Practice conference at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, USA.
- April 2012 ‘Working on a mixed network with BiLETools’ with Shelly Knotts and Chris Tarren at the SC2012 SuperCollider Symposium in London, UK.
- July 2011 ‘BiLE networking strategy and tools’ with Shelly Knotts at the Laptops Meet Musicians Festival in Venice, Italy.
- 2003 – present Board member of Other Minds in San Francisco, California
- 2009 – present Chair of the board of Fossbox in London, UK
- 2011 – present Member of the Vocal Constructivists in London, UK.
- 2014 – present Member of the Music and/as Process RMA Study Group.
- 2015 – present Member of Autonomous Tech Fetish arts organisation in London, UK.
- 2011 – 2015 Co-founding member of BiLE in Birmingham, UK
- 2011 – 2014 Project Coordinator for the Network Music Festival 2012-4.
- 2011 – 2013 Organiser of monthly London SuperCollider Users Group meetups.
- 2007 – 2011 Member of BEAST, Birmingham Electroacoustic Sound Theatre at the University of Birmingham, UK.
- 2006 – 2009 Member of the advisory board of Transonic Arts in New York
- PhD in Musical Composition, 2012, Thesis, ‘Portfolio of Compositions‘, University of Birmingham with Scott Wilson
- Sonology Course, Spring 2007, Royal Conservatory of the Netherlands
- CCMIX year long course in electronic music, Spring 2006
- MA in Composition, Spring 2005, Wesleyan University with Ron Kuivila
- BA in Electronic Music and Recording and also in Computer Science, Spring 2008, Mills College with Maggi Payne
New and Notable Performances
- October 2021 Make America Grate Again installation presented at ARTECH 2021, Aveiro, Portugal
- December 2019 Tenor in Three Sound Sculptures by Wojtek Blecharz in the Jazz and Experimental Music from Poland festival, London
- September 2018 Wrote software for Chronica – live video cutting based on biofeedback, video content by Sophie Hoyle, presented at Jerwood Sapce, London
- June 2018 Listen installation presented at Vocal Constructivists’s The Space of the Spirit concert at Lument Baptist Church, London
- July 2017 Immrama live notation piece performed by toy piano, tenor and accordion at the Music and Philosophy conference, Kings College, London
- May 2017 Set of algorithmically generated dubstep with live tuba wub at the Chemical Algorave in Newcastle
- August 2016 Set of live coded dance music in the Algorave tent at the Electromagnetic Field festival, UK
- June 2016 Chicken Fucker piece for ‘robot’ piano at the Slippery Chicken symposium at Goldsmiths College, London
- May 2016 @BlockAllTwerps installation at Art Meets Radical Openness in Linz, Austria
- April -May 2016 Please Touch: Sex Robot #1 installation at the Libre Graphics Meeting in London and also at the Sound Acts Festival in Athens, Greece
- April 2016 Immrama live graphic notation piece performed by the Vocal Constructivists at Ideopreneurial Entrephonics II in Dublin, Ireland
- November 2015 Please Touch installation of two ‘sex robots’ at Common House, Bethnal Green, London.
- July 2015 Performed in The Great Learning by Cornelius Cardew at Union Chapel, London.
- June 2015 #SC140 installation for playing SuperCollider tweets in real time on a Raspberry Pi, at the Klang Festival in Montpelier, France.
- May 2015 Live synthesiser patching at St Laurence Church in Catford.
- March 2015 Soundbeam with BiLE at Sex and Security at Furthfield Commons in London.
- February 2015 Performed in The Scratch Orchestra’s Nature Study Notes at Cafe Oto in London, UK.
- June 2014 Imramma live notation piece, performed by the Vocal Constructivists at the Music and/as Process Conference in Canterbury.
- March 2014 #SC140 installation for playing SuperCollider tweets in real time at the SEAMUS conference at Wesleyan University, Connecticut, USA.
- February 2014 Cloud Drawings at the Other Minds Festival in San Francisco.
- May-June 2013 USA tour with piece Cloud Drawings, presented at the SuperCollider Symposium in Boulder and in San Francisco, Seattle and at the SubZero Festival in San Jose.
- April 2013 Solo live synthesiser patching at the Live.Code.Festival in Karlsruhe, Germany
- March 2012 Duo with live synthesiser patching and Will Conner on percussion at Boat-ting in London, UK.
- January 2012 Piece The Death of Stockhausen, Act 2 performed by BiLE, the Birmingham Laptop Ensemble, at the Network Music Festival in Birmingham, UK.
- July 2011: Piece Partially Percussive performed by BiLE at the Laptops Meet Musicians Festival in Venice, Italy.
- April 2011: Piece in Ancient and Modern Concert at St Marys Collegiate Church in Warwick, UK.
- April 2010: Solo set of analog modular synthesizer and live-sampling at Noise=Noise at Butchers Corner in London, UK.
- May 2009: Piece in the BEAST Festival at the CBSO Centre in Birmingham, UK.
- July 2008: Duo with Polly Moller and a homebrew lie detector at the Edgetone Festival in San Francisco, California, USA.
- July 2008: Improvised duo with Polly Moller live on KFJC radio in Los Altos Hills, California, USA.
- May 2008: Solo set of laptop and film at the Eclectic Tech Carnival at the Plantage Dok in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- February 2008: Improvised duo on laptop and analog synthesizer and Matt Davignon on pedals and electronic devices at the 1510 Performance Space in Oakland, California, USA.
- January 2008: Improvised solo on laptop and analog synthesizer at the Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco, California, USA
- October 2007: Lock Up Your Children in the Birmingham Book Festival at the Ikon Eastside in Birmingham, UK
- July 2007: Laptop set at the Eclectic Tech Carnival at Cafe Strom in Linz, Austria
- May 2007: Improvised duo on laptop and zebu horn with Nick Fox-Gieg on laptop at Zentrale Randlage in Berlin, Germany
- March 2007: Live set on United Colors of Noise radio show broadcast from The Hague, the Netherlands and streamed on the Internet
- October 2006: Two pieces at the TAG Gallery in The Hague, the Netherlands
- August 2006: Improvised quartet on tuba with Aram Shelton on reeds, Jen Baker on trombone and Damon Smith on double bass at the Temescal Cafe in Oakalnd, California, USA
- August 2006: Improvised duo on synthesizer with David Jensenius on laptop at the Maybeck Recital Hall in Berkeley, California, USA
- August 2006: Laptop set at the Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco, California, USA
- June 2006: Composition and improvisation duo on laptop with Solène Riot on recorder and cornetto, accompanying dance contact improvisation at 10 rue Bisson, Paris, France.
- March 2006: Text sound poetry and electronic noise at La Barbare in Montreuil, France.
- August 2005: Improvisation at Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco, CA on tuba and laptop with Phillip Greenlief-reeds, Noah Phillips-guitar, and Damon Smith-double bass
- June 2005: Set of Text Sound Poetry at the BRINK Series at the Hemlock Tavern in San Francisco, CA, USA
- June 2005: Improvised duo at the Garden of Memory concert in Oakland, CA on laptop with Ellen Fullman on autoharp
- October 2004: Coulter Shock played at Red Festival in Toronto